Israeli military strikes southern Lebanon after evacuation warning to village

A man inspects his destroyed house upon his return to his home village of Tibnin in southern Lebanon on June 15, 2026. Iran's foreign ministry on June 15 said the US must ensure that Israel commits to stopping the war in Lebanon under a deal agreed upon with the US to end the Middle East war. Lebanon was pulled into the conflict in early March when Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah launched rocket attacks on Israel in retaliation for the killing of Iran's supreme leader, prompting Israeli strikes and a ground invasion.
A man inspects his destroyed house after returning to his home village of Tibnin in southern Lebanon. (AFP pic)

BEIRUT: The Israeli military said it had begun targeted strikes in southern Lebanon on Wednesday in response to a “Hezbollah violation”, a day after the latest round of US-facilitated talks between ‌Israel and Lebanon took place in Rome.

The Lebanese health ministry said an Israeli strike on the southern town of Tibnin killed one person and wounded 12 others.

The Israeli military had said in an earlier statement it had issued an evacuation warning to the village ​of Mansouri, about 25km from Tibnin, saying it would act against the Iran-backed group in the area.

The warning was the first online warning by the military for Lebanon in more than a month.

It dropped flyers on the village in late June telling residents to leave as Israel had added Mansouri to a self-declared buffer zone in southern Lebanon, a senior Lebanese military official told Reuters at the time.

Some Lebanese farmers had been continuing to access their fields and homes in the towns despite Israeli forces operating nearby.

On June 26, Lebanon and Israel agreed to a US-brokered ​security arrangement intended to ease hostilities along the border, but Israel said it would maintain a security zone in southern Lebanon to eliminate the threat of Hezbollah.

Author: admin